How can we help?
General fire requirements checklist
The professional inspection solution
You can conduct this checklist for free on the Checkbuster platform. You can use a lap-top, PC or the free inspection App
1. General Fire Requirements
- 1.1 Exit facilities are inspected daily to make sure that all stairways, doors, and other exits are in proper working condition.
- 1.2 All exit paths are free and unobstructed.
- 1.3 Wedges or devices are holding exit doors open prohibited.
- 1.4 All fire escapes, stairs, passageways, doors, and windows are free of obstructions that would interfere with the evacuation of the building or the operation of the fire department.
- 1.5 All fire doors are tight fitting and in good operational condition.
- 1.6 All doors are self closing.
- 1.7 Openings in the walls, floors, or ceilings that would contribute to the spread of fire from one room to another are repaired.
- 1.8 The vertical clearance between sprinklers and material below (such as head deflectors) is at least 18 inches.
- 1.9 Accumulations of flammable or combustible waste materials and residues are removed so that they will not contribute to a fire.
- 1.10 Adequate clearance is maintained between stored materials and light fixtures to prevent possible ignition.
- 1.11 The clearance between stored materials and unit heaters, radiant space heaters, furnace ducts, and flues is not less than three feet in all directions or in accordance with the clearances shown on the approval agency label.
- 1.12 Furnishings or decorations of an explosive or highly flammable character are prohibited.
- 1.13 Decorative materials such as curtains, draperies, streamers, and fabrics flame are resistant.
- 1.14 Materials and artwork do cover 20% or less of the wall area.