How can we help?
Food Hygiene Audit checklist
The professional inspection solution
You can conduct this checklist for free on the Checkbuster platform. You can use a lap-top, PC or the free inspection App
Food Preparation Area
- 1.1 Food preparation area is clean and free from pests.
- 1.2 Floors and walls are clean and dry.
- 1.3 Drains and gullies are clean and appropriately covered.
- 1.4 Exhaust system and filters are clean and in good working order.
- 1.5 Food equipment and food contact surfaces are properly washed and sanitized after every use.
- 1.6 All sinks and ware-washing areas are clean and well maintained.
2. Food Storage Area
- 2.1 Food storage area is clean and free from pests.
- 2.2 Food and storage area is clear of obstruction from unwanted boxes, crates and other articles.
- 2.3 Food storage area is adequately ventilated.
3. Refreshment area
- 3.1 Tables and chairs are kept clean.
- 3.2 A table cleaning system is put in place to clear away food waste promptly.
- 3.3 Fans and light fittings are clean and free of dirt and cobwebs.
- 3.4 All walls and pillars are clean.
- 3.5 Refreshment area is free from unwanted articles.
- 3.6 No pet animal such as dog or cat are in the premises.
4. Toilets and Staff Locker Area
- 4.1 Toilets are clean and dry.
- 4.2 Toilets are well-ventilated and not of unpleasant odour.
- 4.3 Basic amenities such as soap, toilet paper, hand dryer / hand towel and litter bins are readily available.
- 4.4 Toilet facilities are in good working condition.
- 4.5 Toilets are not used for any form of storage.
- 4.6 Staff locker area is clean and tidy.
- 4.7 Staff locker area is not used for storage purposes.
5. Waste Disposal Area
- 5.1 Appropriate foot-operated refuse bins are used.
- 5.2 Refuse bins are properly lined with plastic bags.
- 5.3 Refuse bins are kept covered at all times when not in use.
- 5.4 Refuse are properly bagged before disposal into bins.
6. Personal Hygiene
- 6.1 Food handlers do not prepare food if they are suffering from food poisoning symptoms e.g. diarrhoea, vomitting.
- 6.2 Clean aprons and tidy clothes are worn where handling food.
- 6.3 Hair is kept in tidy condition, and covered with caps or hair nets where necessary.
- 6.4 Sores, wounds or cuts on hands, if any, are covered with waterproof and brightly-coloured plaster.
- 6.5 Fingernails are short,unpolished and clean.
- 6.6 Hands are washed thoroughly with soap and water frequently and at appropriate times.
- 6.7 Food handlers practise good personal hygiene.
7. Dry goods storage unit
- 7.1 Dry goods, drink cans and other food items are stored neatly on shelves at least 30 cm above ground.
- 7.2 Food is stored away from walls, overhead water and sewer lines.
- 7.3 Food packaging and storage containers are properly labelled with content, date and time of purchase or expiry date.
- 7.4 Proper stock rotation system such as the first-in-firstout (FIFO) system is used for inventory management.
- 7.5 Insecticides, detergents and other chemicals are stored away from food products.
8. Refrigerator / Chiller / Freezer
- 8.1 Refrigerated food storage units are in good working order and maintained at correct temperatures.
- 8.2 Refrigerated food storage units are not overstocked.
- 8.3 Refrigerated food storage units are kept clean and well-organised.
- 8.4 All food is properly wrapped, labelled and dated.
- 8.5 FIFO system is used for inventory management.
- 8.6 Fresh food is stored in chiller and frozen food in freezer.
- 8.7 Mutton and beef displayed in same chiller are segregated by compartments.
- 8.8 Cooked food is stored above raw food.
- 8.9 A temperature form is maintained to document storage temperatures.
9. Cooking Equipment
- 9.1 Dirty / soiled utensils and equipment are washed immediately after use
- 9.2 Crockery, utensils and appliances are not chipped, broken or cracked.
- 9.3 Crockery, utensils and appliances are not badlystained or badly-scratched.
- 9.4 Chopping boards and knives are thoroughly cleaned between tasks.
- 9.5 Separate chopping boards, knives, tongs, spoons and other utensils are used for cooked and uncooked food.
- 9.6 Meat grinders for processing pork, mutton and beef are labelled and separated.
10. Food Preparation and Holding
- 10.1 Food supplies are obtained from licensed or approved sources.
- 10.2 Ingredients used are fresh and not expired.
- 10.3 Ingredients used are clean and washed thoroughly before cooking.
- 10.4 Food is not prepared on floor, near toilet or drain.
- 10.5 Food is prepared using potable water and clean crockery, utensils and equipment.
- 10.6 Frozen food is thawed in chiller or microwave, and not by exposing on table at room temperature.
- 10.7 Food is not prepared and kept at room temperature for prolonged periods before sale or consumption.
- 10.8 Food is not repeatedly reheated for consumption over a few days.
- 10.9 Food is cooled rapidly or appropriately before refrigerating.
- 10.10 Appropriate food warmer or heating equipment is used to hold food.
- 10.11 Food is properly covered and protected from contamination.
- 10.12 Food is cooked thoroughly to the required temperature.
- 10.13 Hot prepared food is held at 60°C and above.
- 10.14 Cold prepared food is held in chilling / refrigeration unit at 5°C and below.
11. Food Handling and Serving Practices
- 11.1 Bare hands are not used to handle cooked / ready-toeat food. Tongs, ladles, spoons or disposal gloves are used when handling and serving cooked / readyto-eat food.
- 11.2 Disposal gloves are used in correct manner, and are changed regularly and when necessary.
- 11.3 Food handlers observe good hygiene practices while handling food.
- 11.4 For packed food, food is packed in clean package or wrapper made of materials that do not contaminate the food.
12. Food Transport Vehicle
- 12.1 Vehicle is clean and well-maintained.
- 12.2 Vehicle is free from pests and vermin.
- 12.3 Shelves are provided in vehicle cabin for placing of food containers.
- 12.4 Vehicle is adequately fitted with hot and / or coldholding facilities.
13. Food Transport Process
- 13.1 Vehicle is not used for purposes other than transporting food.
- 13.2 Food containers with tight fitting covers are used for storage and transportation of cooked food.
- 13.3 Food is transported directly to designated site where it will be consumed.
- 13.4 Food is transported at appropriate temperature.
- 13.5 Loading and unloading of food is done in proper manner.
14. Food Handlers Records
- 14.1 All food handlers have undergone the Basic Food Hygiene Course.
- 14.2 All food handlers are registered with NEA.
- 14.3 All food handlers have undergone the refresher training as required by NEA.
- 14.4 Record of food handlers register is updated and kept in order.
15. Other Documentation
- 15.1 Pest control records are in order.
- 15.2 Service records of equipments, ventilation and exhaust systems are in order.
- 15.3 Thermometers are calibrated on a routine basis.
- 15.4 Records of control measures, eg. temperature readings of refrigerated units, hot holding temperature of food etc., are accurately documented and maintained.
- 15.5 Cleaning and disinfection schedule is in order.