How can we help?
Fire protection cooking area
The professional inspection solution
You can conduct this checklist for free on the Checkbuster platform. You can use a lap-top, PC or the free inspection App
1. Fire protection for cooking areas
- 1.1 Cooking equipment that produces smoke or grease-laden vapors is equipped with an exhaust system.
- 1.2 The exhaust system is in operation during all periods of cooking.
- 1.3 All interior surfaces of the exhaust system are reasonably accessible for cleaning and inspection.
- 1.4 Kitchen exhaust systems are cleaned to bare metal at frequent intervals to prevent surfaces from becoming heavily contaminated with grease or oily sludge.
- 1.5 An approved fixed automatic fire suppression system is installed in all hoods and connecting hood and duct systems. It does provide surface protection for all cooking appliances and equipment that may be a source of ignition in or under the hood.
- 1.6 The fixed automatic fire suppression system is inspected at least annually and whenever the system is inoperative.
- 1.7 Fixed automatic fire suppression system inspections are made only by properly trained and qualified personnel.
- 1.8 All fusible links and fusible link sprinkler heads are replaced annually.
- 1.9 At least one manual station is provided for the discharge activation of each fixed extinguishing system.
- 1.10 The extinguishing system automatically shut off all sources of fuels and heat to all equipment requiring protection by that extinguishing system.
- 1.11 The activation of an automatic extinguishing system activate an audible alarm or visual indicator that shows that the system has been activated.
- 1.12 Instructions for manually operating the extinguishing system are posted conspicuously in the kitchen and reviewed periodically with the employees.
- 1.13 Operation of cooking equipment is prohibited when the extinguishing system or exhaust system is non operational or otherwise impaired.
- 1.14 At least one portable fire extinguisher is available with a minimum of a 40-B rated sodium bicarbonate or potassium bicarbonate dry-chemical extinguisher or a K-type fire extinguisher.
- 1.15 The portable fire extinguisher is located not more than 30 feet from the cooking area.